Port-of-Spain Trinidad and Tobago
Port of Spain is a seaport on the north-west coast of the island of Trinidad. The capital and commercial centre of Trinidad and Tobago, Port of Spain has architecture from around the world from Hindu temples to gingerbread Rococo. Trinidad, home of the carnival and the steel band, is an astonishing melting-pot of people and cultures - including African, Oriental, Indian, European and New World. It is also home to an interesting array of South American flora, as well as more than 400 species of birds, some of which can be seen if you visit the Asa Wright Nature Reserve. A Native American village known as Conquerabia occupied the site when the Spanish settled in the area in 1595 and renamed the community 'Puerto de España'. After the British took control of the island in 1797, the settlement's name was anglicised to Port of Spain. The city served as the capital of the Federation of the West Indies from 1958 to 1962, before the grouping was dissolved.